Thursday, September 16, 2010

Even Your Dreams are Not Safe!

ATTENTION HUMANS:

I am always on the lookout for new scams to avoid. It helps keep my bank account safe, but it is also like a game. In many ways the Internet is a big game you can never quit, and scams just introduce new and exotic rules. Don't post your birth date anywhere! Never use your real name! It all adds to the fun!

But lately, I have been hearing about types of scams that are distinctly not fun. These are scams that do not go after victims' bank accounts, but their dreams. For instance, there are many fraudulent publishing companies that take advantage of aspiring writers' dreams of publication. I heard of another company that charges massive amounts of money to set victims up with websites they can run, and it claims they will become millionaires off of the advertising revenue. Instead of becoming millionaires, these poor aspiring rich people just wind up among the scores of under-appreciated website owners. Sure, these scammers do often wind up with their victims money, but their main concern appears to be destroying hopes and dreams.

On my planet we do not charge anything for dreams, anyone may have however many as they wish. But this does not seem to be the case on Earth, as so many scammers go after them with remarkable vigor! I hope my alien hopes are not even more valuable than Earth hopes. And I wonder if they go after the kind of dreams you have for the future, or the ones you have when you sleep as well. I would not mind if they took my bad dreams, or even the ones I can't remember, since so often those are more annoying than anything. But I have a good deal of dreams in my sleep that I like a great deal!

I am also worried about my hopes! Many of them are quite valuable to me! Lately I have been hoping to save up enough money to buy a blender and make delicious smoothies and shakes. I refuse to give that hope away! Unless it is for the price of a blender, in which case I will consider it, but only if the scammer promises to remind me to use the money to buy a blender. But seeing as the whole point of a scam is not to pay for the ill-gotten gains, I find this situation unlikely!

Many of these scams apparently existed before the Internet, but they have proliferated there extravagantly. This has me quite worried! Since I am on no official registries, these criminals cannot get to me by mail, and due to my appearance I am rarely approached on the street, but on the Internet my dreams and hopes are frighteningly vulnerable!

If anyone knows of any good ways of avoiding these hope-stealing monsters, please let me know. Also, if you hear of any good deals on blenders, I would be interested in those as well.

No comments: