Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Online Banking Saves Time and Obtains Pastry!

ATTENTION HUMANS:

I love online banking! It is so fun and easy! It seems like all humans are now using the Internet to transport and store their dollars, but just in case any of my readers missed the boat, I will explain it to you!

Most banks now offer an online component in addition to their usual services. You can use their website to set it up, then manage your funds from the convenience of your living room. First, use the Internet to research which bank works best for you. Be sure to factor in which bank has a location closest to your apartment, just in case you need to go there in person. My bank is just one block away. So convenient! It's also right next to the doughnut shop, so on the extremely rare occasion that I should need to physically travel to the bank I can reward myself with a delicious pastry.

Once you have chosen your bank you will need to set up an account there. I think you can do this online, but the website confused me so I went down to the bank and did it in person. Then, once you're back home with a bag of Boston creams in hand, you are in a great position to go on your computer and set up your online account. If you find this is as complicated as I did, don't worry. If you go back to the bank they will be happy to explain it to you, and the doughnut shop will only be a little judgmental when you buy some bear claws to go with the Boston creams.

One of the most important aspects of an online bank account is security. Part of this is the bank's responsibility, but part of it is up to you. Be sure to chose passwords and security questions that are hard to guess. Industrious hackers have robots that can guess trillions of possible passwords a minute. I can only imagine that with their guessing capabilities, a game of robot charades must be very strange. I doubt I could keep up!

Many websites have tutorials on how to make difficult to guess passwords by using tricks such as using ordinary words, like replacing "a" with "@" or "o" with "0", or putting numbers in illogical places. I take security particularly seriously, so I went back to the bank to get them to help me pick a good password. I also got some input from the owner of the doughnut shop. I'm not an expert in human facial expressions, but I don't think she bought my excuse that my roommate came down with a strange strain of the flu that makes her need sugar to keep her fever down.

You can then use your computer to see what's going on with your bank account. This can help you to be sure not to take out more money than you have, and it can also help you keep scammers away from your money. If you see any suspicious activity, such as charges to shops you've never been to or withdrawals you did not make, you can call the bank and let them know you are being robbed.

Or, if you're not sure whether or not the charges are legitimate, you can go to the bank in person and discuss it with a bank teller. You should do this even if you have the vaguest suspicion that something strange might be going on. Safety first. And on your way home, you can stop by the doughnut shop again! Unfortunately, at this point the owner will likely tell you that you've had enough for one day. I will admit, this is a significant downside of online banking.

And there you have it! A simple, easy way to manage your bank account thanks to the Internet! It's so convenient to be able to monitor everything right on your home computer. In fact, it might be a little too convenient. I just set up online banking a couple of days ago and I've already gained three pounds from all the convenience!

No comments: