Monday, August 9, 2010

How to Use E-Books

ATTENTION HUMANS:

Have you ever tripped over a pile of inconveniently placed books in your home? Have you ever been reading a favorite book and ruined it by spilling coffee all over the cover? Do not despair! Those days are officially over, thanks to e-books!

E-books are nothing like e-bay, despite their similar sounding names. E-books are books you read on the computer instead of on boring old paper. You can also read them on specially made devices like kindle or i-pad.

How do e-books work? It is very simple! Simply go to whichever Internet website you usually use for ordering books. Amazon, Barnes and Nobles, Borders, it really doesn't matter. Feel free to use shady dealers as well, just be open to the idea of having your credit card number stolen. Order a hardcover or paperback edition of the book you want to read on your computer/e-reader. In a few days time you will find it delivered to your house.

Once in your possession, you can proceed to type the contents of the book, word for word, into a word processing problem. And you're done! Wasn't that easy? No you can save the file and open it up whenever you want to read it! You can throw away the original book, or burn it, or donate it to charity. Whatever you want, it's your book, and thanks to your computer you no longer need it for reading!

Publishing companies are pretty strict that you have to do the typing yourself though. It is illegal to post books you typed up onto the Internet for other people to download. I think it's a laziness issue. The Internet is so convenient, it is making humans extremely lazy. Being able to download books other people have typed up will only make this problem worse.

However, if you absolutely do not have the time, or if your laziness exceeds all reasonable expectations, there is a loophole. If you download a book directly from an Internet website that the publishing company has approved and pay a small fine (usually about the cost of the original book), they will look the other way and allow you to read the book on a computer without having to type it up yourself.

I will admit, so far I have not tried either approach. I started typing up my new copy of a Janet Evonovich mystery, but then I got a hand cramp and just read the paperback I was typing from. This definitely makes me see the value of paying the publisher's fee, and having them type the book for you. No wonder it is getting so popular!

Laziness is a problem that needs to be solved. Just as soon as we get around to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kazara, I really want to read e books, but I have a few concerns. First of all, I bleed Diet Coke. Literally, whenever I get cut diet cola comes pouring out of me. I'm often told that I drink too much of it, but it's so good! Sometimes I even like to take baths in it. And that's the problem. I hate it when I'm reading the latest Twilight hardcover and I accidently drop it in the tub. It gets all stained and becomes totally illegible. But won't this get worse if I drop my iPhone or kindle in the tub? What should I do? I need help Kazara!